Founding Editor’s Note
Entrepreneur’s Handbook announces new newsletter, new podcast season, and updated branding and mission.
Dear Medium Friends,
When I first started writing on Medium in 2014, I quickly became obsessed. I was a newbie writer, but I became smitten by the Medium editor. It was minty fresh, clean, and minimalist. Hat tip to the early design team, such as Marcin Wichary.
Like many writers, typing out my thoughts on Medium made them feel bigger and more real than they actually were. It was invigorating.
This is exactly how entrepreneurship came alive in my life.
As many entrepreneurs know, a written idea is the first crystalization of a startup. The process of lassoing a wild idea in your head and harnessing it on the page will either kill it or fortify it further. Writing begets ventures.
When Medium launched “Collections” — the first iteration of what we know today as Publications — I created Entrepreneur’s Handbook, simply as the virtual warehouse for what I was learning about in starting businesses. Being one of the first in our category and ruthlessly protecting our editorial quality let us scale over the years, publishing unique stories from entrepreneurs.
Now, with a lean and mighty team of Amardeep Parmar and Stephen Moore, Entrepreneur’s Handbook has grown to be one of Medium’s largest, most active publications with hundreds of amazing writers and over 225,000 followers.
A few highlights from the journey so far:
- We launched the Entrepreneur’s Handbook Podcast hosted by Amar, interviewing guests like the cofounders of Netflix, ConvertKit, and even the founder of Medium, Ev Williams. We just announced Season Two, with a strong lineup of interesting guests, including Tyler Denk, founder of Beehiiv, Lars Albright + Sandhya Hegde + Wei Lien Dang from Unusual VC, Lloyed Lobo, founder of Boost.AI and Traction), Maria Colacurcio, CEO of Syndio, and more.
- We’ve held community events recognizing some of our extremely talented writers, such as Aaron Dinin, PhD, AL Anany, Rachel Greenberg, Joseph Mavericks, Michael Lim, DC Palter, and Tim Denning.
- We’ve launched Crypto Handbook, featuring the work of top voices in cryptocurrencies and Web3 such as Arthur Hayes.
- We’re participating in Medium Day this August. Come join us on Hopin as we share stories with the Medium community — it’s going to be fun.
Today, we’re announcing the next chapter of Entrepreneur’s Handbook.
First and foremost, we’re not moving off Medium.
Medium will remain our home. We are grateful for the continued partnership we’ve been able to have with Medium over the years and we are happy with Medium as our community hub and publishing platform.
Beehiiv will be an off-platform extension of Entrepreneur’s Handbook, enabling us to grow our business, feature our writers in more places, and introduce new products. Beehiiv gives us greater email capabilities for growth and another channel to scale our media business.
What’s going to be different between the content we publish on Medium versus Beehiiv?
- On Medium, we’ll continue publishing inspirational stories with practical takeaways for entrepreneurs, just as we have been doing for years. You’ll continue to see the same great writers, new ones we discover, and non-fluffy startup stories that we’ve become known for. If you’d like to write for Entrepreneur’s Handbook, apply here or send us a DM on Twitter.
- On Beehiiv, we’ll be writing about more time-relevant lessons and takeaways from what’s happening in the startup news world. You’ll get more personal insights from the editors of EH and myself, and a curated overview of top stories and social posts from around the web.
- Together, you’ll get evergreen lessons on Medium and timely lessons on Beehiiv.
Additionally, we’re updating the Entrepreneur’s Handbook logo across all of our platforms to better represent how people refer to Entrepreneur’s Handbook in natural language (i.e., “EH”).
Our bold sans serif “E” icon is receiving a companion letter “H” to show that we are not only for Entrepreneurs but are a Handbook — a premier resource for education and skill-building in the rapidly evolving fields of technology, venture capital, and startups.
With that, I’m delighted to reveal our shiny new domain ehandbook.com where you can sign up for our Beehiiv newsletter. Entrepreneur’s Handbook on Medium will still be accessed at entrepreneurshandbook.co
- The $250 billion creator economy is expected to double in the next five years, largely fueled by the half a million employees laid off in the technology industry in the past two years. Many of these ex-employees are striking out on their own, becoming full-time creators.
- At the same time, companies are observing the marketing power behind the creator economy. Personality-based, authentic content wins over professional, faceless brand updates on social channels and events.
But content creators aren’t necessarily entrepreneurs. Creating content isn’t the same skill as creating a company.
Likewise, companies struggle to be like creators. They want to humanize their brands, resonate with audiences, and build loyal communities around their products.
The convergence of these two macro trends is why Entrepreneur’s Handbook is more relevant than ever: to help creators become companies and companies become creators.
Entrepreneur’s Handbook helps creators learn how to turn their content into a business. We also help brands and startups learn how to modernize their growth strategies and marketing tactics like creators.
We’ve been around for years, but this is a new beginning for our publication. I’m excited about our continued partnership with Medium, the growth ahead, and most importantly the stories and insights we get to publish.
All the best,
Dave, Stephen, and Amar